Laser Scanning A Pipe for Diameter
March 17, 2014
Many manufacturing companies require an online method to measure their products as they are being made to a high tolerance. The manufacturing of pipe is an example of where a company can provide a superior product and automatically control the surface dimensions of their product to meet their specifications.
In the sketch below the customer has used 3 Acuity AP820-400 laser line scanners to create a profile around the diameter of the pipe to accurately measure the diameter, ovality, concentricity and straightness of the pipe moving on line with a non contact system. The AP820-400 laser line can generate a laser line that has a laser line length of 8 to 11 inches long. This model has a depth of field in the Z direction of 15.7 inches. The laser generates 580 points along the laser line and each point has a resolution of 0.008" with an accuracy of +/- 0.0095" over the full range of the laser scan. Each laser generates 580 point at 100 profiles a second for over 10 million points a minute and can be used to create a 3D model of each pipe in the production cycle.
This measurement capability can provide real-time data to be used to assure that all the products are made to the manufacturer's specifications. The laser sensors can be used on almost any target surface including hot metals. Air and water cooled jackets are availabe with replaceable protective lens for hot targets.
Contact your Acuity factory person for more information.
- 2D Profile Scanner
- 3D Scanning
- AccuProfile 620 Laser Profile Sensor
- AccuProfile 820 Laser Scanner
- AR1000 Laser Distance Sensor
- AR200 Laser Measurement Sensor
- AR2000 Laser Distance Meter
- AR2500 Laser Sensor
- AR3000 Distance Measurement Sensor
- AR4000 Laser Range Finder
- AR500 Laser Position Sensor
- AR700 Laser Displacement Sensor
- CCS Initial Confocal Sensor
- CCS Prima Confocal Displacement Sensor
- Confocal Displacement Sensor
- Long-Distance Rangefinders
- Triangulation Sensor Applications